"I'm Only Joking" Musical Analysis Post

I'm Only Joking by KONGOS, is one of my favorite songs. No matter what mood I'm in, I always enjoy listening to it, despite the large amount of cursing that makes up the chorus. This song instantly makes me feel like bobbing my head and rocking out. This is mostly due to the insane drumming throughout the song and loud presentation of the lyrics. 

This song was composed by Jesse Kongos, one of the four Kongos brothers who make up the band. Since they had grown up in Africa, they initially released their song in 2011 in South Africa, waiting until 2013 to release it in the US. Although it was released in South Africa first, it was written and composed in Phoenix, Arizona (Kongos (band)).

 
Here is the song.

Lyrics

The lyrics to this song are a little strange and confusing, but also have a deeper meaning. Most of the lyrics are just the chorus being repeated; however, there are also some very interesting lyrics during the song that people interpret in a variety of ways. Some people think that the lyrics "The Earth is alive, And man is a parasite, And heavenly bodies make us fight" refer to the earth being something that is full of living things, while man preys on it and consumes it. Meanwhile, religion and beliefs cause people to fight and war with each other (Kongos - I'm Only Joking Lyrics). This was the interpretation that was the most similar to my own interpretation of the lyrics. 

Rhythm

The rhythm in I'm Only Joking would be considered an allegro, or fast, beat due to the rapid drumming and singing. The drumming that greatly influences the rhythm is the reason that I love this song so much. It is a completely unique beat that I instantly enjoyed. Almost the entire song is belted out at a quick pace. Combining that with the strange lyrics and interchanging drumbeat, it creates a song that feels like you're rushing headlong into it. 

Dynamics 

I believe that the dynamics in this song fall under the level of forte, or loud. Right from the start of the song, the volume is loud and upbeat. Not only the instruments are played loudly, the singing is also loud, with the chorus being shouted out by more than one voice. There are also some decrescendo effects that can be heard in this song. While the song starts off at a loud level, it quiets down during the lyrics before raising again for the chorus. This creates a rise and fall sound that leaves the listener swaying to the music. 

Melody

I'm Only Joking has a very disjunctive melody. It is difficult for me to even hum the melody, because it is so interchangeable and jumps around chaotically. I have tried to find a way to teach myself to play this song, because I find it so haunting and mesmerizing, but I found it ridiculously complicated and couldn't keep up with the rapid drumbeat. The way that the melody is composed makes it sound as if the drumming changes direction. As if it is being played one way, and then it is played backwards, or the opposite way the next second. The inspiration for this unique sound came from the thundering drumming that the band members experienced while living in Africa (KONGOS' Second Single "I'm Only Joking" Was Originally...a Pop Song). I find the melody to be completely amazing, and almost otherworldly, since I have never experienced a song with a similar sound. 

Harmony

I would certainly describe the harmony of this song as being filled with dissonant chords. It isn't a smooth, calm feeling that is created by the harmony, instead, it is harsh and gritty, with a feeling of gathering and releasing tension. I find this to be a pleasant harshness though, and enjoy the rather jagged feeling that the harmony creates. All the components of the song fit together well, they just combine to make a disjointed and unique sound. It's as though the song is simultaneously falling apart and putting itself together. 

I'm Only Joking has become one of my favorite songs, and quickly became popular in both South Africa, and the US after its release (Kongos (band)). There are several musical elements that contribute to making this song so unique and enjoyable, but the sporadic melody is what I find the most magnetizing about it. Its unique composition never fails to make me feel excited and pumped up.

Sources:

"Kongos (band)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 8 Jan. 2021. Web. 11 Feb. 2021.

"Kongos - I'm Only Joking Lyrics." SongMeanings. Web. 11 Feb. 2021. 

"KONGOS' Second Single 'I'm Only Joking' Was Originally...a Pop Song." ABC News Radio. 15 Sep. 2014. Web. 11 Feb. 2021. 


Comments

  1. That is really cool that it was written and composed in Phoenix, Arizona! I am from a small town just North of there! I love Kongos, perhaps my favorite song-probably super popular but it's called "Come with Me Now" here's the link if you are interested in listening to it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq_J-XVOucg
    The song you picked "I'm Only Joking" has a very interesting melody, as you stated it is really difficult to pick up on the melody as it is all over the place! Very good listen though! Great job analyzing this piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I haven't heard of the Kongos (as this isn't really my kind of music), but I really liked this song! The song you chose is wild, it makes me want to rock out too (haha). My mom used to listen to a lot of 90s rock, that's usually the only kind I listen to. I love the drums in the background, they really drive the beat of the song. Great post!
    - Josh Foster

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog Post

Continued Explorations: Music and the Fictive Dream "Stand By Me"

Musial Analysis of "We Didn't Start the Fire"